Regular follow up is necessary even if hypertension is under good control. During follow up visits, patients will be monitored for side effects of drugs and target organ damage apart from BP control.
Some Points to Follow:
- Begin exercises very gradually, under the guidance of your doctor
- Avoid smoking & alcohol consumption
- Reduce salt intake
- Avoid processed foods like, papad, pickles, wafers, chutneys, slated nuts. Salted biscuits, canned foods, processed cheese, soya sauce, processed meat etc.
- Avoid fried foods, fatty foods like coconuts, copra, butter, ghee, bonda etc.
- Avoid Non-vegetarian food, or use lean meat
- Organ meat like brain, Kidney, Liver should be totally avoided. Egg yolk should be avoided
- If you are obese, avoid food containing high cholesterol and fats
Diet and Hypertension:
- Low calorie foods
- Low fat foods
- Lots of Vegetables & fruits
- Use of low fat milk and its products
- Lots of vegetable salad
are ideal ways of following a controlled diet, for maintaining a normal blood pressure.